Tim Unwin (born 1955) is Secretary General (formerly Chief Executive Officer) of the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO), Chair of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK, Emeritus Professor of Geography and UNESCO Chair in ICT4D at Royal Holloway, University of London. From 2001-2004 he led the UK Prime Minister’s Imfundo: Partnership for IT in Education initiative based within the Department for International Development, and from 2007 he was Director and then Senior Advisor to the World Economic Forum’s Partnerships for Education initiative with UNESCO. He was previously Head of the Department of Geography at Royal Holloway, University of London (1999–2001), and has also served as Honorary Secretary of the Royal Geographical Society (with The Institute of British Geographers) (1995-1997). He has written or edited 15 books, and more than 200 papers and other publications, including “Wine and the Vine” (Routledge, 1991), “The Place of Geography” (Longman, 1992), as well as his edited “Atlas of World Development” (Wiley, 1994) and “A European Geography” (Longman, 1998). His research has taken him to some 25 countries across the world, from Estonia to Sierra Leone, and Ethiopia to Singapore, and he has worked on subjects as diverse as the role of banknotes as expressions of national identity, and the historical-geography of viticulture and the wine trade. Over the last decade his research has concentrated on information and communication technologies for development (ICT4D), focusing especially on the use of ICTs to support people with disabilities, and to empower out of school youth. His latest collaborative book, entitled simply ICT4D, was published by Cambridge University Press in 2009. He started using WordPress for blogging on 18th December 2008.
Links to my main activities are as follows:
- Secretary General, Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation
- UNESCO Chair in ICT4D and Emeritus Professor of Geography at Royal Holloway, University of London
- Chair of the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
- International Advisory Board of the International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber Threats (IMPACT)
- Advisory Board of the ITU’s M-Powering Development initiative
- Advisory Council, Alliance for Affordable Internet
- Digital Advisory Panel, UK Department for International Development
- Honorary Professor, Research School of Arid Environment and Climate Change, Lanzhou University, Gansu, China
- Honorary Vice-President, Commonwealth Youth Orchestra
- On the editorial boards of
Further information about me is available as follows:
For further links on ICT4D, visit the ICT4D Collective’s site at http://www.ict4d.org.uk – although this site is now rather old it was the first website I ever really created!